Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spiritual Warfare

Whoo. This week has been a challenging one. We are preparing to take lots of awesome high school students on a winter retreat this weekend and the enemy is not happy because he knows that souls are going to be won for the Lord this weekend. He’s hopping mad and is trying to create whatever havoc and spiritual warfare he can to stop it from happening. I could feel it in the air at youth group on Sunday night that something just felt a little off. People of our team have been sick this week. I’ve had a lot of struggle myself this week.

I started a new job and needless to say it was a tad overwhelming the first day. I don’t do well with change. Needless to say, this job is a big change because I am no longer the student that I have been for the past 20 years. I am taking on huge responsibilities. I even have my own office. Scary. I feel like I grew up overnight. And every fiber of my being was resisting the change, saying lace up those running shoes and run as fast as you can in the other direction, which is my reaction when I get scared. Then maybe I won’t have to grow up and I could stay in time right where I am now. I’ve really been enjoying focusing my time on the youth and building relationships with friends at church. It’s been nice to not have to worry about rushing off to do homework or complete a project or go to bed early because I have to be at work at 7. I’ve also had my certification exam hanging over my head all week, which is the final step before I apply for my NP license. It’s been preoccupying my mind all week and I thought do I really want to even do this? Did I choose the right career/job?

 But then yesterday, I had the opportunity to follow the current PA who is leaving and got to see her interact with the families and patients. Many of these patients have terminal diagnoses and that takes an emotional toll on the patient and families, especially amidst the busy schedule of doctors who have a lot to do. The PA was the one who got to talk to the families and find out a little bit more about their lives rather than just about their current disease state. I realized that this role was going to be mine soon and even though I’m not working directly in a church capacity, I’m still ministering to them by showing God’s love and compassion to them at a time when they need it most. So I think for right now, I’m taking this change one day at a time and putting the running shoes on standby. In the Message Psalm 27:14 says “Stay with God! Take heart. Don’t quit. I’ll say it again: Stay with God.” It’s hard because I want to run off in my own direction, but for right now I’m intentionally choosing to stay with God on this one and see where He takes it.

Even though it’s been a tough week, I am ready and excited to be with these kids this weekend. I feel like the Lord has been renewing me and rescuing me from the spiritual warfare of the week. So if you think about it, be praying for the kids and leaders this week that the spiritual warfare will be overcome by the One who has already won and praise be to the that!

No comments:

Post a Comment