Thursday, March 10, 2011

Attitude is Everything

Attitude can be defined as a tendency or disposition towards a person or thing or an orientation of the mind (dictionary.com). Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about my attitude towards situations, especially towards starting this new job. I think my latest attitude about the job has been one of fear. Fear is an emotion brought on by a sense of danger, but that danger may actually not be real (dictionary.com). I’ve had the fear of not being good enough or fear of passing out to name a few. I’ve also feared losing the relationship I have with the Lord because I’m afraid I’m going to be too busy for Him. As a friend said the other day, sometimes I tend to have an attitude like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. Today, the alarm went off in my head…the devil is trying to paralyze you with these fears.

If I continue to maintain this attitude, then these things absolutely will happen. This Eeyore attitude will continue to paralyze me and keep me from reaching my full potential. I’ve learned through the therapy of mountain biking that fears distort our view of reality and the truth. My prayer lately has been Lord, please change my attitude towards this job from one of fear to an attitude of curiosity and confidence. This is an awesome opportunity to expand my ministry to care for others. It is an awesome opportunity to learn because my boss is a surgeon who is willing to teach someone who has no experience because he sees something in me. He’s taking a huge risk, but it’s his reputation on the line as well. I want to be excited and curious about this opportunity like the pioneers wading into uncharted territories of the Wild West.

My other fear of not being able to spend time with the Lord too is one that will set me up for failure as well. That is a matter of priority problems. It would be foolish to walk into this new job thinking well Lord, thanks for getting me here, but now I’ve got this on my own. Ha! Foolish indeed! This is a time in my life when I need the Lord the most because I don’t do well with transition. If anything, I need more time with the Lord! I need to walk into this job making even more of an effort to seek the presence and counsel of the Lord rather than just resigning to put the Lord on a shelf and come back for Him later.

So anyways, I would encourage you to take a look at the attitudes in your life and see if there are any that have been distorting your view of the truth lately. If you remember, I would also love it if you could be praying for the change in my attitude as well. Adios Eeyore!

No comments:

Post a Comment