Friday, March 25, 2011

Societal Politics

The other night I attended an event that had a lot of important people at it. These people were all dressed in their best suits, feasting on wine and cheese, celebrating the culmination of a big project. I made an appearance to meet some of these people, and I was just really bothered by the whole situation. There was so much “schmoozing” and "politics" floating in the air that I had to get out. The “politics” involved in societal interactions just get to me. It has always been one of my biggest pet peeves.

Now I don’t think it is wrong to celebrate momentous occasions, but it’s the underlying attitudes and behaviors that bothered me. I felt like everyone was walking around the room, smiling at one another, saying their “how do you do’s” while sizing up who has influence to help them get ahead in the game. It was all about small talk. There was no real genuine conversation in the room or being real with each other. I’ve been told numerous times that’s just the way the world is, you have to get over it and play the game, but really, why do we have to play this “game”? Why can’t we just be real with each other rather than putting on airs to impress others in the room, so more money can be thrown our way for future projects? Can you imagine what the world would be like if we actually dropped the fronts we put on and were just ourselves?

I know it sounds like an impossible task to change this aspect of our society, but can you imagine how different the world would be? Politics are so ingrained into our cultural system that it affects almost every facet of life. It affects whether you get a job or get into a certain school or make a certain team or win a bid for a project or a fundraiser. I feel like as Christians, we are called to be different and to go against the grain of the world’s expectations and rules. Paul says in Romans 12:2, “Do not copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good, pleasing, and perfect.” I think if we took this verse to heart and really sought God’s opinion on this matter and let Him guide our thoughts and behaviors rather than the world that we could begin to make a difference. We could drop the fronts and barriers we put up and be real with each other rather than running around trying to impress people based on societal standards.

So, I challenge you this week to start with yourself. Be real with others and let God guide your thoughts and behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment