I remember the day we moved into our new house and begging mom and dad for a dog because we finally had a fence, which had been their previous excuse for no dog. I remember when we first met you, a ball of fluff crawling around the family room and ultimately falling asleep in my sister’s arms, locking in your destiny to become ours. I remember the day in April when you moved in and the first night where you cried the entire night and my brother slept in the kitchen with you because you were scared. I remember that day we came home when you figured out how to get your little red collar off and how you used to jump on the baby gate every time we walked in the door because you were so excited to see us.
I remember you learning to swim to the steps so that you could get out of the pool if you ever fell in and you falling in love with the water. You used to lie out at night on the pool deck when the air was cool, gazing over your kingdom. I remember the night I woke up to you chewing the nose off of my teddy bear while I slept. I remember the day you jumped through the window, shattering the glass to get to the mailman as you fiercely protected your house and family. I remember having to watch the front door when we opened it because you would shoot out like a rocket and tear through the neighborhood. I remember Christmas when you figured out there was a stocking on the fireplace filled with treats for you and how you would prance around the house, carrying it like a prize.
You were quite stubborn and let us know when something wasn’t going your way with your bark or growl. You thought you ruled the house with your favorite spot in the curved living room chair and the middle of the bed.
I’m sorry we broke your heart when we left for college and your afternoon playmates were no more. You never were quite the same.
Thank you though for the continued sparkle in your eye and your never-ending love. You always knew when we were sad or sick or hurt and came to comfort us. Thank you for continuing to try to play even though your body wouldn’t let you. Thank you for bringing joy and life to our family for 15 years. You will always hold a special place in my heart as the first dog I ever had. Love ya buddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment