Last night was quite an adventure. Definitely not planned. I had a great time after a youth staff meeting just hanging out and chatting with some people at church pretty late. When we decided to leave, I reached into my tote bag for my keys and I panicked. I frantically dumped my bag on the ground, hoping my keys were only lost in the abyss of the bottom of my bag. To my chagrin, no keys appeared. I checked trash cans, thinking this cannot be happening. It is late and 20 something degrees outside and my keys can’t be in my car. After heading outside with a flashlight, it was confirmed that my keys were in fact lying on the driver’s seat with the doors locked. And my spare car key was in my apartment, inaccessible by the house key now locked inside of my car. Bummer! Enter “MacGyver” with random tools, stage left.
“MacGyver” begins to stick screwdrivers and knives around the seal of my driver door to wedge open the door, which is immediately followed with a wire coat hanger. Too short. Out comes another metal rod. Beginning to wonder how “MacGyver” knows how to do all of these tricks. Enter sheriff patrolling area. Apparently, we didn’t look too threatening because he decides to help us out with the Slim Jim rather than interrogate us. Again fail. Obviously, Toyota has done a good job making sure their locks are foolproof to thieves. Out comes the metal rod again with “MacGyver” and sheriff working together. Metal rod pushes down unlock button and nothing gives! Rod hits lock 3 more times! I guess Toyota has a safety mechanism that keeps this trick from working. Sheriff gives up and relinquishes us to AAA. Mr. AAA shows up in sketch, unmarked Cadillac and has the door open within 30 seconds. Mission accomplished 1.5 hours later!
Luckily, I had three awesome friends who decided to stay up way late even though they had to work the next day. I was so grateful my friends didn’t just leave me in the cold by myself. Any one of them could have said peace out, but they didn’t. Definitely not the night I expected to have, but I still enjoyed growing friendships with people I serve with on a weekly basis. The Lord knew that I needed that time to develop a little more community and I am grateful for it. Things didn’t go my way and I’m sure everyone else, including Mr. AAA, would rather have been sleeping than being with me because I can’t seem to keep track of a simple thing as keys, but I still think we would all agree that it was a night worth laughing about in the future.
So the lesson I learned last night is to look for joy and laughter in circumstances even if they are unexpected and inconvenient.
Oh yeah, and to lock my car with the key in my hand.
Keys not where they belong!
As I scrolled down and read along, I noticed another blog post you've written "My God is Not Random". Not random indeed. :)
ReplyDelete