Friday, January 28, 2011

Excuse-maker or risk-taker?

I have been working on the job search process for awhile now. The latest one could be promising, but it wasn’t exactly what I expected or “planned” for after graduation. There isn’t anything wrong with it. It has a lot of pluses to it. I think overall I am scared. Not necessarily scared because it’s a bad fit, but scared because it is not what I planned. Scared because it means I may actually have to be a “grown-up.”

Nicole Unice talked about Moses being an excuse maker at a recent youth group. In Exodus 3-4, Moses is called by God to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. Moses makes excuse after excuse, questioning why the Lord is choosing him of all people and saying he is not equipped to do the job. The reality is that Moses wasn’t equipped to do the job by himself, but the Lord was offering him resources through Aaron to be his mouth and the Lord Himself to tell him what to say. Moses questioned the Lord 5 times, eventually pleading to just send someone else.

This morning while journaling, trying to figure out while I was afraid, I found myself making excuses…but Lord, this isn’t what I expected…but Lord, this is a lot of responsibility for a 25-year-old…but Lord, what if I should backtrack and be a nurse first, that sounds a little safer…but Lord, I’ve been a student my whole life and I don’t know how to be anything else. And the Lord answered, yes you will fail if you do it alone, but if you allow me to walk with you and be with you, then I will equip you to do the job I have set before you. This may not be what you have planned, but I know the future and I know the end of this story. I feel like Moses, but the Lord blessed him immensely because he finally said yes.

So I want to be brave and a “risk-taker,” not safe and an “excuse-maker.” “But I am trusting you, O Lord, saying, ‘You are my God’” (Psalm 31:14). Praying today that I will say “yes” to the Lord even if it is scary and may not be what I planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment